1. Most effective Public Relations activities can be accomplished
at little or no cost. Chapters are encouraged to try these approaches on a continuing basis and not rely strictly on funded
2. The Federation
Public Relations Chair shall send out a letter to all chapter presidents each year asking them to send a written copy of their
general chapter plans for public relations activities for which they would like financial support in the next Federation
Fiscal Year, January 1 to December 31.
Supplemental requests can be submitted during the year, at least
a month, and preferably a quarter, before the proposed event.
3. The Federation Public Relations Chair will develop a form that the chapters
will use for requesting financial support to do public relations.
4. The Federation will only reimburse the chapter
for up to one-half the total cost of the project. (For example, next year would encourage chapters to sponsor candidate forums
in the local area. If one of the costs is renting a large meeting room at $200 for the night, the chapter would show the total
cost and the amount up to 50% of that total cost for which they are requesting the assistance. The maximum they could receive
for the room rental from the Federation would be $100.)
5. The total amount of Federation funds available for
public relations purposes is quite limited. For this reason, WSFC public relations matching funding to the chapters is restricted
a. Advertising in selected publications with high readership by current and retired federal employees,
or local electronic media that can be shown to reach the same audiences. General advertising to promote NARFE name awareness
is expensive and ineffective. Ads should be in support of a specific special event or occasion that would draw prospective
members. Advertising requests MUST show the special event, desired media, ad size, ad cost, advertising copy, requested frequency
and desired outcome.
b. Booth space rental for NARFE display,
c. Room rental for special
d. Limited purchase of NARFE related presentation goods, i.e., pens, etc. - for AFE,
only if approved by Public Relations Chair (Note: Bulk purchasing of these items is made by WSFC and they will be distributed
to the chapters as requested),
e. Expenses for WSFC and chapter speakers at conventions of related organizations,
such as NAPUS or Soil and Water Conservation,
f. Reproduction, stationery & postage associated with
external (not to chapter members) public relations activities
g. Food or snacks for prospective, not current, NARFE members at recruiting events.
6. As each chapter implements a portion of their approved plan, they shall
make their request for reimbursement using the most current Federation Expense Form, WSFC 1. These completed forms plus actual
receipts for the expenditures shall be sent by the chapter to the Federation Public Relations Chair for approval/disapproval
and then forwarded to the Treasurer for payment.
7. Where appropriate, the Federation Public Relations Chair will
forward requests through the Federation President to NARFE Public Relations for consideration to receive NARFE matching funds.
8. Each chapter receiving assistance shall provide written feedback to the Federation Public Relations Chair on
the results of the Public Relations effort. (For example, "Over 300 people showed up at the candidates forum held on
September 1st at the Red Lion Inn in Port Angeles, and NARFE's leadership role in the event was mentioned several times in
the local papers. The chapter is sending pictures to the national office to used in the next issue of the NARFE Magazine."
WSFC Funding Breakouts
Funding is available from different Federation
elements (Membership, Public Relations, Webmaster) for different purposes. Membership funding, submitted through the
chapter Membership Action Plan, is in direct support of recruiting new members and retention of existing members.
Public Relations funding supports informational efforts aimed at a targeted audience of potential members - Active
Federal Employees, Retirees, family members and survivors - who have not yet signed up as members. Federation Reporter
funding is directed at improving the communications with chapter members and leadership.
- Support of first year AFE memberships - $____
per membership granted.
- Postage related to recruiting and retention efforts by chapters
- Stationery related
to recruiting and retention efforts by chapters
Supplies (?) related to recruiting and retention efforts by chapters
- Telephone calls related to recruiting and retention efforts by chapters
- Copying related to recruiting and
retention efforts by chapters
- Purchase of units and inserts for NARFE display units
- Shipping of NARFE display units to and from chapters
- Booth space rental for NARFE display
- Room rental
for special recruiting events
- Room rental for special awareness events
- Food or snacks for prospective, not current, NARFE members at recruiting events.
- Limited WSFC purchase of NARFE related presentation goods,
i.e., pens, etc for AFE
- Expenses for WSFC and chapter speakers at conventions of related organizations
stationery & postage associated with external public relations activities
Items that will NOT be reimbursed
by WSFC special activities:
- Food or snacks for NARFE members at events
- Support of chapter advertising
in WSFC convention publications
- Support of raffles or chapter prizes at conventions
- Door prizes
for monthly meetings
- Meeting notices for chapter members or telephone trees
- Internal mailings
to chapter or federation members
- Chapter website management costs